The fact that you are a vegetarian does not mean that you cannot build muscle. There many body building vegetarian approaches. You can decide to shun all animal products. Alternatively, you can do away with the meats and leave other animal products such as milk. Irrespective of your approach, make sure that you get enough proteins that will facilitate bodybuilding.
Choosing a 100% Plant Diet
Yes, you can build muscles on a diet that is 100% plant based. You do not require animal products to build muscles. Legumes are high in proteins and other nutrients.
• If you are a vegetarian out of medical reasons, you will have to shun anything from animals. The good news is that you can still build a good deal of muscles on a plant diet.
Choosing a Semi Plant Diet
You can be a vegetarian out of choice. If that is the case, you do not have to be strict about your diet approach. You can decide to include a few animal produce.
• You can decide to shun meats but still indulge in milk and eggs. Alternatively, you can keep red meat totally out of your diet but still eat white meats such as chicken, pork and fish. White meat is healthy. It does not have saturated fats. On the other hand, red meat has a high level of saturated fats that will increase your cholesterol level. White meats are heart friendly.
• If possible, you should choose the semi-plant diet. This is the best approach for vegetarian bodybuilding. Actually, animal-based foods have some nutrients that plants do not have.
The Power of Beans & Legumes
These should be in your vegetarian bodybuilding diet. Beans are a good source of fiber and protein. They are also delicious.
• The fiber from legumes will facilitate proper insulin response. This is critical for muscle growth. The effectiveness of protein synthesis depends on insulin response.
• You should include kidney beans in your muscle building diet. A cup of kidney beans has 14 grams of proteins.
Carefully Evaluate Your Food Choices
Do this to make sure that your diet has all the major nutrients. Remember, you do not only need proteins for bodybuilding. You also require vitamins, minerals, fats and carbohydrates.
To fuel and sustain your muscles, you require slow-burning carbohydrates. You need energy for workouts. Sweet potatoes and oatmeal are great pre-workout snacks. Water should also be an important part of your diet.